Great Lumley Wesleyan Methodist Church

  • Description

    "Great Lumley Wesleyan Methodist church first appears on the second edition Ordnance Survey map of 1898 (1). There are buildings in the same area as the chapel on the first edition maps but none labelled as a chapel (2). It has been documented that the church closed in 1985 and has now been converted into a private house with many features of the church, including a war memorial plaque, having been removed and sold (3). Modern aerial photographs (4) and streetview images (5) show that the building is still a large structure with some original features of the church still in evidence including the impressive south facing gable with square tower and large arched window. As a private house the building is situated in extensive landscaped gardens with low walls...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=D49295
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 months ago
    Viewed: 24 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES