Description"The Manor of Hawkshead was created by the monks of Furness Abbey to administer the land that has been granted to them by Stephen, Count of Boulogne and Mortain, in 1127. The extent of this land was established in 1167 as being between Coniston Water and the River Crake on the west side, and Windermere on the east side, and is known as the Furness Fells. The Grange (administrative centre) of the manor was Hawkshead Hall, and the Gatehouse or Courthouse is all that remains of the medieval buildings. There is a fireplace with dog-tooth moulding in the style of the 13C, but the tracery in the windows suggests the 15C. There is a niche over the archway that contained a statue of the Virgin Mary until 1834. A stone to the left of the arch is inscribed "J. THOMPSON/BOLTON 1849". The building was restored in 1932, after being given to the National Trust by Henry Swainson Cowper. It contains a Folk Museum (enquire at the NT shop in Hawkshead)." Photo by Humphrey Bolton, 2006.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/168929
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 year, 3 months ago
Viewed: 101 times
Picture Taken: 2006-05-06