Greystoke St Andrew

  • Description

    "....A very large church of unusual architectural consistency and character. The north and south aisle arcades of simple form with pointed arches, circular shafts and simple capitals are likely to date from mid’ C13th origins of the church. The easternmost bays of the arcades appear to have been intended for access to transepts that were never built. Instead wide aisles extend to the level of the chancel arch..... The exterior of the church is uniformly of the Perpendicular style of the C15th with very little subsequent alteration. Inscriptions record repairs to the chancel in 1645 and restoration 1848. Further restoration was carried out between 1878-99...."
  • Owner

    Diocese of Carlisle
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.carlislediocese.org.uk/church/greystoke-st-andrew.html
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 353 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES