Description"This was built in 1893, due to the generosity of Rev. Hay Erskine who provided the £750 to build the Institute out of his own pocket, and endowed it with a sum of £200 per annum. The building was open from 8am to 10pm every day except Sunday, when it was open from 2pm to 5pm. There was a reading room with books and newspapers, and a recreation room with a public room upstairs for sales and lectures. A wide range of courses was offered, such as nursing, veterinary surgery, drawing, and music including church choir practices. It is still used for meetings and functions. It is a pity that the appearance has been spoilt by the blocking of a large window in the gable-end." Photo by Humphrey Bolton, 2006.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/276388
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 11 months ago
Viewed: 304 times
Picture Taken: 2006-11-03