Description"Newcastle only had a single main-line railway station, unlike many other English cities, a situation encouraged by Richard Grainger. The building was designed by John Dobson and built between 1847 and 1851 for the York, Newcastle & Berwick Railway but also catered for the existing Newcastle & Carlisle Railway and the line to North Shields and Tynemouth. The portico fronting on Neville Street, accessed on the right, was built to a reduced design in 1862-63 []. As shown in this and other photographs [] the train shed was built on a large curve using innovative curved, wrought-iron sections. Two further curved train sheds providing additional platforms were added in 1892-94 []. The glass and steel ticket and travel centre on the left was built within the main concourse in 1985, complementing the older design." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2003.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1726505
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 2 months ago
Viewed: 217 times
Picture Taken: 2003-09-10