Prudhoe Castle gatehouse

  • Description

    "Prudhoe Castle came into the possession of the Percy family in 1398. Henry Percy fought in the Battle of Shrewsbury against King Henry IV and as a result, in 1405, his estates were forfeited to the Crown.It was returned to the Percy's in 1440. The Percy's kept fighting on the 'wrong' side and there was much changing of ownership between them and the crown. Prudhoe Castle stopped being used as a residence in the late 17th century and by 1776 the property was in ruins. Prudhoe Castle is now run by English Heritage having been handed to the crown in 1966." Photo by Gordon Elliott, 2003.
  • Owner

    Gordon Elliott
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1308770
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 427 times
    Picture Taken: 2003-05-00
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES