Description"The Gothic-style cross commemorates those from the village who died in both World Wars. It was erected by the people of Wylam in 1923, 'in grateful memory of those who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918'. Sir James Knott offered to provide the memorial, but this was turned down by the villagers, who wanted to provide it themselves. The Memorial Green was originally enclosed by railings which were removed during 1939-45. Full details are given here http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=8556" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2011.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2740370
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 year, 4 months ago
Viewed: 70 times
Picture Taken: 2011-12-25