BELL TOWER NORTH-EAST OF CHURCH OF ST OSWALD - Kirkoswald - List Entry

  • Description

    "Bell Tower. Core of 1743 (date on weather vane) with inscription over entrance THIS TOWER WAS REBUILT/1893/IN MEMORY OF/JOHN HENRY RANSOME/VICAR 1877-1892. Coursed red sandstone rubble wall, flat roof not visible. Small square 2-storey tower with angle stair turret. Lower stonework is C18 with C19 rebuilding of upper floor.....3 inscribed bells, 1619, 1729 and 1892.....The only detached church Bell Tower in north Cumbria...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1144818
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 457 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES