The Church

  • Description

    "The Chapel of St. Mary, Rydal, was built by Lady le Fleming of Rydal Hall, at a cost of £1,500. She herself laid the foundation stone in July, 1823. The Chapel was opened for public worship on Christmas Day, 1824, and consecrated by Dr. Blomfield, Bishop of Chester, on August 26th 1825. William Wordsworth, who was then living at Rydal Mount, helped to choose the site, which was originally an orchard, and he composed two poems, one ‘to the Lady Fleming on seeing the Foundation preparing for the erection of Rydal Chapel, Westmorland’, and another, ‘On the same occasion’. ...."
  • Owner

    Rydal Guide
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.rydal.org.uk/the-church.html
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 395 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES