CHURCH OF ST MARY - Rydal - Llist Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church of 1824, by George Webster of Keswick; with chancel added 1884. Local slatestone rubble with bigger quoins and freestone dressings, slate roof. Nave with lower and narrower chancel, west tower with vestry on its south side, north porch, north organ chamber.... Built as a chapel-of-ease in 1824. The patron was Lady le Fleming of Rydal Hall. The architect, George Webster of Keswick (1797-1864), was a prominent local architect responsible for over a dozen churches. His original specification for the church is in the Cumbria Record Office, Kendal. William Wordsworth, who lived at nearby Rydal Mount from 1813 until his death in 1850, helped to choose the site and composed 2 poems inspired by the foundation of the church. Wordsworth was chapel warden in 1833..."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1245403
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 405 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES