River Bela from Milnthorpe Bridge

  • Description

    "View downstream towards the weir and the Kent estuary. There is no sign of the impressive railway viaduct which once carried the Arnside to Hincaster railway across the Bela estuary, which opened in 1876 and closed in 1963. It extended across the photo from the wooded embankment on the left. See http://cumbrianrailways.zenfolio.com/p430483186/h2c9a912d#h2c9a912d. The railway was built to carry coal or coke from Durham to ironworks in the Barrow area, but was also used for passenger trains between Grange and Kendal." Photo by Ian Taylor, 2009.
  • Owner

    Ian Taylor
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1582786
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 377 times
    Picture Taken: 2009-11-15
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES