Dufton with Knock Methodist Chapel

  • Description

    Official Website of the Chapel. "....It is very likely that the Methodists were active in Dufton in the late 18th Century as there is a record that in 1803 the village had a Wesleyan chapel in the Brough Wesleyan Circuit. In 1820 a new Wesleyan chapel was built. This building still stands in the village but it ceased to be a chapel and is now a private residence. In 1839 a Primitive Methodist Chapel was opened at a time when Primitive Methodism was spreading quite quickly in the Eden Valley. By about 1900 the members felt that their chapel was too small and inconvenient for their work to be carried out effectively, and they decided to build a chapel nearer the centre of the village and this is the building we now meet together in...."
  • Owner

    Dufton with Knock Methodist Chapel
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.duftonchapel.org.uk/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 112 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES