Description"It is very likely that the Methodists were active in Dufton in the late 18th Century as there is a record that in 1803 the village had a Wesleyan chapel in the Brough Wesleyan Circuit. In 1820 a new Wesleyan chapel was built. This building still stands in the village but it ceased to be a chapel and is now a private residence. In 1839 a Primitive Methodist Chapel was opened at a time when Primitive Methodism was spreading quite quickly in the Eden Valley. By about 1900 the members felt that their chapel was too small and inconvenient for their work to be carried out effectively, and they decided to build a chapel nearer the centre of the village and this is the building we now meet together in." Photo by Rude Health , 2013.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3352087
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 year, 11 months ago
Viewed: 104 times
Picture Taken: 2013-03-01