'Shakespeare' at Wesley House, Dufton

Related Pages


Dufton


Cumbria

  • Description

    "A printed notice on the wall explains: 'Wesley House was originally built as a Methodist Chapel in 1820 and was converted into a private residence during 1935/36. In the days when Dufton had a stonemason living in the village he made for himself a statue of William Shakespeare. Apparently, during one night, someone had broken the statue's feet off. The mason was intending to throw the damaged statue out. The family who were in the process of converting the chapelheard about this and decided to have a niche built where a window was to be bricked in to house the statue.'" Photo by Karl and Ali, 2013.
  • Owner

    Karl and Ali
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3614821
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 250 times
    Picture Taken: 2013-08-20
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES