The interior of St Martin's Church, Martindale

  • Description

    "The church is also referred to as Martindale Old Church. It is in the most wonderful lonely setting and is almost unrestored - see It is thought that the present church was erected at the end of the 16th century, replacing the old chapel, a reference to which appears in a document of 13th April 1541. In 1714 the floor of the church was flagged, a new luxury as the worshippers were not willing to accept any longer the damp earth floor. The last major restoration of the church was in 1882 when the roof was replaced, as on the day that Martindale New Church was consecrated (6th January 1882), the roof of the Old Church fell in during a violent storm. The reading desk was put in by Richard Birkett in 1634 and was originally a two decker. The font (seen on the left here) was almost certainly part of a Roman altar, and probably stood during the Roman Occupation at a wayside shrine on High Street which runs along the top of the fells to the east." Photo by Marathon, 2018.
  • Owner

  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Edmund Anon
    Last modified: 5 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 357 times
    Picture Taken: 2018-08-24
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.