Description"The church is also referred to as Martindale Old Church. It is in the most wonderful lonely setting and is almost unrestored - see http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5896202 It is thought that the present church was erected at the end of the 16th century, replacing the old chapel, a reference to which appears in a document of 13th April 1541. In 1714 the floor of the church was flagged, a new luxury as the worshippers were not willing to accept any longer the damp earth floor. The last major restoration of the church was in 1882 when the roof was replaced, as on the day that Martindale New Church was consecrated (6th January 1882), the roof of the Old Church fell in during a violent storm. The reading desk was put in by Richard Birkett in 1634 and was originally a two decker. The font was almost certainly part of a Roman altar, and probably stood during the Roman Occupation at a wayside shrine on High Street which runs along the top of the fells to the east." Photo by Marathon, 2018.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5899193
Resource type: Image
Added by: Edmund Anon
Last modified: 3 years, 3 months ago
Viewed: 201 times
Picture Taken: 2018-08-24