Tyne and Wear HER(5110): Westoe, Westoe Colliery

  • Description

    "Sunk in 1909, Westoe was heavily modernised in the 1950s with the construction of two tower mounted friction winders and a modern coal preparation plant. The site has recently closed and awaits demolition. Westoe Colliery was begun in 1909 as a man-riding shaft for the nearby St Hilda's Colliery. It became a producing mine when the old colliery closed in 1940. A major reconstruction scheme commenced in 1957...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/5110
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 months ago
    Viewed: 43 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES