Coundon War Memorial - List Entry

  • Description

    "....Coundon War Memorial was unveiled on 25 September 1921 by Colonel F Walton MC. The cost of £450 was met by public subscription to a war memorial fund and the memorial was designed and made by Allison and Sons of Bishop Auckland, with railings by Wilson and Sons of Blue Row. It commemorated 162 local servicemen who died in the First World War. Following the Second World War the names of those who fell in that conflict were added. The statue on the top of the memorial was vandalised in the 1960s: deemed unsafe because of the extent of the damage, it was removed and for some years was stored in Allison’s stone-yard. The memorial was restored in 2007...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Peter Smith
    Last modified: 3 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 214 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.