Description"The Music Hall built in 1838 replaced that previously built by Richard Grainger. It held lectures by leading orators of the day, notably Charles Dickens and Dr. John Hunter Rutherford [], exhibitions and classical music concerts. In 1879, it became the New Tyne Concert Hall, and later the Gaiety Variety Theatre, the 'Eldorado of the North'. Between 1911 and 1937 it was the Gaiety Cinema. It is now only a façade, concealing part of the Eldon Square Shopping Centre." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1696606
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 year, 10 months ago
Viewed: 161 times
Picture Taken: 2010-01-31