Redmarshall Parish, 1848
RED-MARSHALL (St. Cuthbert), a parish, partly in the union of Stockton, and partly in that of Sedgefield, S. W. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham; containing, with the chapelries of Carleton and Stillington, 272 inhabitants, of whom 48 are in Red-Marshall township, 4½ miles (W.N.W.) from Stockton. This place anciently belonged to the see of Durham, and was given by Bishop Anthony Beck to his brother John, baron of Eresby in Lincolnshire, who sold it to the Moultons, from whom it passed in the 14th century to the Lisles and Langtons. Since that time the families of Claxton, Morley, Place, Bromley, Spearman, and Vane, have, with others, held property here. The parish comprises 3,358a. 19p., of which 956 acres are in the township; of the latter, 693 are arable, 244 pasture, 9 wood, and 4 common and roads: the surface is slightly undulated, and the soil clay, producing chiefly wheat. The Clarence railway passes through the township of Carleton. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 18. 1½., and in the gift of the Bishop of Durham: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £377, with a glebe of 6½ acres; and £56. 7. are paid to Sherburn Hospital. The church has a Norman arch leading into the chancel: on the south side are three stone stalls, opposite to which is an arched recess; and in the south porch are two recumbent figures, supposed to represent a male and female of the family of Claxton. The rectory-house appears to have been once fortified; an embattled tower was lately remaining, but it has been modernised.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.