Prudhoe Township, 1848
PRUDHOE, a township, in the parish of Ovingham, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 12½ miles (W. by S.) from Newcastle; containing 369 inhabitants. The township comprises about 1,400 acres of land, mostly arable; the soil is somewhat inferior in the hilly parts, but near the turnpike-road is of better quality, producing good turnips and barley. A small land-sale colliery is in operation, and there is excellent clay for fire-bricks, for which a manufactory has been erected. The Duke of Northumberland and Mr. Capper are the principal owners of the township. On Mr. Capper's property is a farmhouse, which has evidently been a chapel; in the wall on the south side is a handsome Norman arch, and a porch was removed some years since. The tithes have been commuted for £157.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.