Topics > Northumberland > Pegswood > Pegswood, 1848
nb. Pegswood was sometimes previosly reffered to as Pegsworth.
PEGSWORTH, a township, in the parish of Bothal, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 1½ mile (E.N.E.) from the town of Morpeth; containing 207 inhabitants. It comprises 1266a. 3r. 1p., of which 1,001 acres are in tillage, 224 grass, and 41 woodland; the whole the property of the Duke of Portland. Collieries have long been wrought here. The village, which is well built, stands on a rock, on a bare and exposed, but dry and fertile, eminence. The tithes have been commuted for £209. 9. Pegsworth is remarkable as the birthplace, in 1580, of Matthias Wilson, who, under the name of Edward Knott, was the champion on the Roman Catholic side, in opposition to Chillingworth.
Add a comment or share a memory.