Old Lighthouse and Keeper's Cottage, Brownsman Island
The lighthouse on Brownsman Island in the Outer Farne Islands was originally built in 1800, and then replaced with a new tower in 1811. At the age of just 3 weeks, Grace Darling was taken to live on Brownsman Island where her father William was the lighthouse keeper. The lighthouse was closed in 1826 when Longstone Lighthouse was built. At that point William and Grace moved to Longstone to keep the new lighthouse. The old lighthouse 'stump' and keeper's cottage on Brownsman Island is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.