Topics > Northumberland > Ogle > Ogle Township, 1848
Ogle Township, 1848
OGLE, a township, in the parish of Whalton, union, and W. division, of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 7¾ miles (S.W.) from Morpeth; containing 121 inhabitants. This manor formed part of the possessions, and was the residence, of the Ogle family, who were seated here before the Conquest, and with whom it continued till the time of Elizabeth. It then passed by the marriage of an heiress to the family of Cavendish, and subsequently by another heiress to the family of Hollis, both dukes of Newcastle. The heiress of Hollis married Harley, Earl of Oxford, whose only daughter, the Duchess of Portland, conveyed the estates and the representation of the Ogle family to her descendant the Duke of Portland; and that nobleman, in 1809, sold the manor to Thomas Browne, Esq., who in 1830 disposed of it to the Rev. John Savile Ogle, of Kirkley, the present owner. The township comprises 2082a. 3r. 9p. Of the once strong fortress of Ogle Castle, which was built in the reign of Edward III., when Sir Robert Ogle had a licence to fortify his manorhouse here, and in which David, King of Scotland, was confined after the battle of Neville's Cross, scarce a vestige remained in 1827, part of the moat only being visible. There was anciently a chapel.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.