Newcastle Jubilee Exhibition 1887
Royal Mining Engineering Jubilee Exhibition 1887
"The exhibition was intended to be held in 1886 but it was decided to defer the event to associate it with the Queen Victoria Jubilee celebrations in 1887. The site suggested for the exhibition was Bull Park. As the number of exhibitors grew it was realised that this area alone was not large enough and so the exhibition ground was extended into the Town Moor. The exhibition was split into 4 main courts containing exhibits from local industries. There were also gardens, a theatre, art galleries and a photographic section. There was even a replica of the old Tyne Bridge, built in 1250 AD, which had been partially destroyed in the great flood of 1771.
Over 2 million visitors saw the exhibition which was opened by His Royal Highness the Duke of Cambridge. A bandstand is the only remnant of this exhibition today. Even though the area had been used for this large-scale exhibition, the area continued to be known locally as Bull Park. It wasn't until the later exhibition, in 1929, that it became commonly known as "Exhibition Park" (Source: Newcastle University Library)