Newbottle Township, 1848
NEWBOTTLE, a township, in the parish and union of Houghton-le-Spring, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 8 miles (N.E. by N.) from Durham; containing 1,835 inhabitants. This place, the name of which in the Saxon signifies "new dwelling," comprises 1,388a. 2r. 32p., whereof 945 acres are arable, 365 grass, and 78 waste. The village is considerable, and stands in a high exposed situation about a mile north of the village of Houghton; the population is principally employed in collieries and potteries. A division of the town-fields took place in 1691, when lands called the Hall-moor and Dobmire-moor were allotted, the chief claimants for which were the families of Wilson, Watson, Chilton, and Byers. The tithes have been commuted for £265. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.