Netherton Township, Bedlington Parish, 1848
This relates to present day Nedderton.
NETHERTON, a township, in the parish and division of Bedlington, union of Morpeth, county of Northumberland 4 miles (S.E.) from Morpeth; containing 436 inhabitants. This place was the residence, at an early period, of a family of the same name; and among the most considerable families that have subsequently owned it, have been those of Swinburne, Ogle, and Heron. Hugo de Hexham held three messuages, 120 acres of land, and four meadows, here; and other lands were held by Hugh Walton, by fealty, and rendering a rose yearly, if required. In the 16th century, it was possessed by the barons of Morpeth, with whom it remained for a considerable period, and from whom it has descended to the earls of Carlisle. Coal is obtained in the township. The village is situated on a fine eminence, upon the road between Morpeth and North Shields. The tithes have been commuted for £13. 6. payable to the vicar, and £229. 17. to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.