Muncaster Parish, 1848
MUNCASTER (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Bootle, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; comprising the town of Ravenglass and the township of Birkby, and containing 602 inhabitants. This place, formerly called Meol-Castre, derives its name from a castle, the ancient residence of the Penningtons, situated at Esk-Meol, near the mouth of the river Esk; the principal tower of the castle is retained in the mansion built by the late Lord Muncaster. The parish comprises 3,200 acres, of which 1,200 are inclosed; about 1,000 acres are arable, and 300 woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £97; patron, Lord Muncaster, whose title of Baron, in the peerage of Ireland, is derived from this place.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.