Morton Palms Township, 1848
MORTON-PALMS, a township, in the parish of Haughton-le-Skerne, union, and S. E. division of the ward, of Darlington, S. division of the county of Durham, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Darlington; containing 73 inhabitants. It comprises 1,316 acres; 749 only are tithable, and of this number 427 are arable, and 322 grass-land: the surface is nearly level, the soil a strong clay. The township is intersected by the Stockton and Darlington railway, and also by the road between those two towns. The tithes have been commuted for £101. 16. There are the remains of an old manor-house of the Tudor era.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.