Topics > Tyne and Wear > Sunderland > Houghton-le-Spring > Houghton-le-Spring Parish, 1848 > Moor House, Houghton-le-Spring, 1848
Moor House, Houghton-le-Spring, 1848
MOORHOUSE, a township, in the parish and union of Houghton-le-Spring, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 3½ miles (N.E.) from Durham; containing 45 inhabitants. In the seventeenth century this township was the seat, in succession, of the families of Ingleby and Roper. It lies on the extreme western verge of the parish, near the river Wear, and comprises by measurement 220 acres, of which 140 are arable, 68 grass, and 12 wood: the few houses are convenient to the road from Durham to Sunderland.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.