Extract from: Kelly's Directory of Durham, 1890
Monkseaton is a township and small village, 3 miles north-by-west from North Shields, and forms part of the parish of Cullercoats. There is a Wesleyan chapel here. The Duke of Northumberland K.G., P.C. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The area is 1,052 acres; rateable value, £4,806; the population in 1891 was 564.