Middleton St George Parish, 1848
MIDDLETON (St. George), a parish, in the union of Darlington, S. W. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 6 miles (E.S.E.) from Darlington; containing 433 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south by the river Tees, comprises about 3,100 acres, and includes the village of Middleton-One-Row and the hamlet of Oak-Tree; the surface is undulated, the soil clay. The scenery is pleasing, more especially by the river side, where the walks are beautiful; and there are fine views of the Cleveland hills. In Middleton-One-Row are a good hotel and some lodging-houses for the accommodation of visiters frequenting Dinsdale spa, in the adjoining parish of Low Dinsdale. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £4; net income, £91; patron, H. A. W. Cox, Esq.: certain impropriate tithes have been commuted for £73. 12. 7., and the incumbent's tithes for £78. 5. 11.; there are 15 acres of glebe. The church is a small structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, and stands on high ground to the south-east of the village of Middleton. The foundations of Pountey's bridge here, thought to have been the first built across the Tees, are still visible: on or near it stood a chapel; within a short distance was a hermitage; and on the brow of the hill immediately above it, is an artificial mound encompassed by a fosse.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.