MARTINDALE, a chapelry, in the parish of Barton, West ward and union, county of Westmorland, 8 miles (S.S.W.) from Penrith; containing 198 inhabitants. The chapelry comprises by measurement 3,542 acres of inclosed land, of which 966 are arable, 2,480 pasture, and 96 wood; there is also a tract of common, of about 4,600 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £43; patron and impropriator, John de Whelpdale, Esq., whose tithes have been commuted for an annual rent-charge of £22. A free school has an endowment of £13 a year.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.