Topics > Northumberland > Lyham

Lyham


The hamlets of Old Lyham, North Lyham, South Lyham, and West Lyham are located by Lyham Moor in Northumberland, about 3 miles south-west of Belford and 5 miles north-east of Wooler. Old Lyham was the site of a more substantial medieval village, which was first recorded in written records from 1296. The village had shrunk by the mid 18th century. New Cottages were built at North Lyham and South Lyham in the early 19th century, at which time and more people moved away from Old Lyham.[1] The settlements formed a township in the ancient Parish of Chatton.

LYHAM, a township, in the parish of Chatton, union of Glendale, E. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 6 miles (E.N.E.) from Wooler. It is situated on the road from Chatton to Holborn, and comprises 1661 acres, of which 492 are common or waste land. The Hetton burn passes on the west of the township. The great tithes have been commuted for £145, and the small for £46.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Northumberland Chatton Parish, 1848
from Geograph (geograph)
Cottages at Old Lyham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Old Lyham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Grassland at South Lyham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Permissive footpath towards Lyham Hill

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Old quarry on Lyham Hill

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Road to South Lyham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
South Lyham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
house at North Lyham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
West Lyham Farm

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Telephone box, West Lyham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
House, West Lyham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
West Lyham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Old Lyham (Tillside)
- "This is the site of the deserted medieval village of Old Lyham. It was first recorded in written records from 1296, but had shrunk by the mid-18th century. By the ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Lyham Hill millstone quarry
- "This site is known to have been a quarry since Elizabethan times and is first documented in 1563. It was worked for millstones and gateposts. The remains of over 100 ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES