STAINTON, LITTLE, a township, in the parish of Bishopton, union of Sedgefield, S. W. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 7 miles (N.E.) from Darlington; containing 74 inhabitants. It belonged to the family of Conyers, who in the year 1613 assigned the lands to their tenants, of whom the Elstobs and Wellfoots were the principal; in 1684, the freeholds were the property of the families of Tatham, Fewler, Allinson, Newton, and others. The township comprises 1,083a. 1r. 21p., of which 637½ acres are arable, 376 pasture, 60 woodland, and 10 waste. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £9. 10., and the impropriate for £136. 6.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.