List number: 1276785
List grade: 2
Keys to the Past HER: N5790
Grid ref: NU2374828583

Lime Kilns, Beadnell


To the east of Beadnell harbour are 3 lime kilns, the earliest of which was built in 1789. Limestone was burnt in lime kilns to make quicklime, which was used as a fertilizer and in building mortar. Much of the lime produced was transported by ship for use in Scotland. By 1822 the kiln had fallen out of use for producing quicklime, and instead used for curing herring.[1] Today they are used by local fishermen to store lobster pots. The lime kilns are Grade II listed and a distinctive landmark in Beadnell.

from Geograph (geograph)
Disused Limekilns at Beadnell Harbour

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Lime Kiln, Beadnell Harbour

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Beadnell Harbour and Lime Kiln

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Beadnell limekilns

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Lime Kilns, Beadnell

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Beadnell

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Beadnell Lime Kilns

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Evening Walk at Beadnell Beach, Northumberland

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Lime Kilns at Beadnell Harbour Northumberland Coast North East

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
LIME KILNS TO EAST OF HARBOUR - Beadnell - List Entry
- "Limekilns. 1798, extended slightly later by Richard Pringle for John Wood of Beadnell Hall. Random rubble with pink sandstone dressings. 3 large circular kilns c.30 ft. high, interlocking but ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Beadnell Harbour lime kilns (Beadnell)
- "Three lime kilns, the earliest built in 1789, are at this site to the east of Beadnell Harbour. By 1822 the kiln had fallen out of use and was used ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Beadnell Harbour
  Co-Curate Page
Beadnell Harbour
- Overview Map Street View Beadnell Harbour is located to the south of Beadnell in Northumberland. The present harbour was built in the 18th century and was extended 1798 for John ...
from Flickr (flickr)
Limekiln

Pinned by Pat Thomson

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES