Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Lazonby Civil Parish > Lazonby Parish, 1848

Lazonby Parish, 1848


LAZONBY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing, with the chapelry of Plumpton-Wall, 891 inhabitants, of whom 570 are in the township of Lazonby, 7 miles (N.N.E.) from Penrith. The township comprises 7,980a. 1r. 17p., of which 3,888a. 2r. 20p. are arable, 1,140a. 2r. 35p. wood and plantations, 62a. 2r. 7p. meadow and pasture, and 2,888a. 1r. 35p. waste. The village is situated on the west bank of the river Eden, and the surrounding country is pleasing. There are good quarries of freestone, and a quarry producing stone for millstones. The living is a vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £13. 1. 3.; net income, £551; patron, the Bishop of Carlisle: the remainder of the rectorial tithes belong to the poor of the chapelry of Witherslack, Westmorland. At Plumpton-Wall is a separate incumbency. In Baron Wood is a lofty rock, containing an artificial cave called Giant's Chamber, or Samson's Cave. The great Roman road passes from north to south, and another intersects the parish in a direction towards Salkeld Gate. At Castle Rigg are the ruins of a moated building; and upon the fell, urns containing bones and ashes were discovered some years since. There are also several cairns.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Lazonby Civil Parish Lazonby Cumberland, Parishes and Townships, 1848
Lazonby
  Co-Curate Page
Lazonby
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Lazonby Parish
- "Township in Lazonby parish, Leath ward, Cumberland...manor of Lazonby held by Stutevilles in 12th century, descending with barony of Burgh (q.v.) to Dacres; forfeited on attainder of Leonard ...

Added by
Edmund Anon
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Plumpton Wall Township
- "Township in Lazonby parish, Leath Ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Hesket CP 1934....Plumpton park was royal demesne, part of Inglewood Forest. Disparked by Henry VIII; leased to Musgraves in later ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES