Kirklevington Parish, 1848
LEAVINGTON, KIRK (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Stockton, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Castle-Leavington, Pickton, and Low Worsall, 483 inhabitants, of whom 233 are in the township of Kirk-Leavington, 2 miles (S.S.E.) from Yarm. This place, formerly called Leventon, and in Domesday book Lentune, or "the town upon the river Leven," was once the inheritance of the crown, and was bestowed by the Conqueror upon the Bruces, who held under the king. They continued proprietors until about the time of Richard I., or John, when the estate passed to the Percys, with whom it remained up to the reign of Henry VIII., since which time the lands have been owned by different families. The place suffered greatly in the incursion made by the Scots under the command of Sir James Douglas and the Earl of Murray, in the 12th of Edward II., and on this account the inhabitants were exempted in the following year by that monarch from paying his taxes. The parish is on the road from Yarm to Thirsk, and is bounded on the west by the river Tees, and on the east by the Leven, which flows through a picturesque dale: the township comprises 2133a. 1r. 35p., of which 1170 acres are arable, 782 meadow and pasture, 20 woodland, and 160 road and waste. The soil is chiefly a strong fertile clay, more favourable for corn than grass. The level grounds near the Tees at Worsall, and on the border of the Leven at Castle-Leavington, consist of a deep rich loam; about Pickton the soil is rather inferior. From various situations are fine views of the Cleveland hills. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £100; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of York, whose tithes in the township of Kirk-Leavington have been commuted for £428. The church is a small ancient edifice.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.