Kibblesworth, 1848


KIBBLESWORTH, a township, in the chapelry of Lamesley, parish and union of Chester-le-Street, Middle division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 5 miles (S.) from Gateshead; containing 219 inhabitants. It belonged at a very early period to a family of the same name, of knightly rank, of whom mention first occurs in the 12th century, and in whose possession a part at least of the lands remained for many years subsequently to that date. The whole is now divided in very various proportions. The village is scattered; most of its inhabitants are employed in a neighbouring coal-mine.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES