James Losh, Obituary, 1833
"1833 (September 23 .) Died, at Greta Bridge, Yorkshire, in the 71st year of his age, James Losh, esq., of Jesmond Grove, recorder of Newcastle. Mr. Losh was horn at Woodside, near Carlisle, received his school education under the Rev. Mr. Gaskin, of Wreay, and afterwards under Mr. Dawson, of Sedburgh, from whence he removed to Cambridge, after which he entered Lincoln's Inn, and in due time was called to the bar. In 1797, he settled at Newcastle, and in the following year married Cecilia, daughter of the Rev. Dr. Baldwin, of Aldhigham, Lancashire, by whom he left five sons and three daughters. In 1810, he greatly assisted in the establishment of the jubilee schools ; subsequently he interested himself in the formation of infant schools, and in the beginning of the year of 1883, he ably advocated the scheme for a collegiate education at Newcastle, the friends of which have to lament his loss in a more especial manner. The sensation excited by the event in this neighbourhood was great and extensive, all political differ- ences appearing to have at once subsided, and every one feeling that society had lost an active, eminent, and useful member ; the public institutions, charitable, educational, and literary, a warm and enlightened supporter ; a numerous circle of friends, an intimate and kind associate, a judicious adviser, and a ready helper; and the poor a most liberal benefactor. His exertions to promote the education, particularly the religious education of the lower classes, were manifested at an early age. His remains were interred at Gosforth on the 3rd of October, and wore followed to the grave by the mayor and corporation of Newcastle, the members of the legal profession, the members of the literary and philosopical society headed by Sir Matthew W. Ridley, bart., the mechanics' institute, the anti-slavery society, and then followed the members of the Unitarian congregation in Hanover-square, with whom the deceased had for many years been on terms of the most friendly communion. Several burgesses and corporate officers succeeded, and the procession was closed by twenty to thirty carriages. The crowds of respectable spectators on either side of the road were immense for the first three-quarters of a mile, and great numbers accompanied the procession to the church, where, about twelve o'clock, the body was received by the Rev. J. Walker, M.A., incumbent. The interior of the church was crowded in every part, and its appearance had at this time a peculiarly solemn effect. After the usual preliminary services had been gone through, the whole assembly proceeded to the grave, where the remaining ceremonies were performed, and the tomb finally closed over one who when living was included amongst the greatest benefactors of this town and neighbourhood, and to whom his relations and more intimate friends had, on this occasion, the melancholy satisfaction of seeing the public testifying, with one accord, their gratitude for his exertions, and their esteem for his memory."
From: T Fordyce, J. Sykes. Local records; or, Historical register of remarkable events which have occurred in Northumberland and Durham, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and Berwick-upon-Tweed..., published 1867