Irthington Parish, 1848


IRTHINGTON (St. Kentigern), a parish, in the union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland; comprising the townships of Irthington, Laversdale, Newby, and Newtown; and containing 1,049 inhabitants, of whom 270 are in the township of Irthington, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Brampton. The parish comprises by admeasurement 6,266 acres, of which 5,669 are arable, 408a. 1r. 38p. pasture, and 188a. 1r. 16p. woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 1. 5., and in the patronage of the family of Dacre; net income, £222. The church is in the Norman style. Near it is the site of a castle, said to have been the chief seat of the barony of Gilsland before the erection of Naworth Castle. Watch Cross, where Horsley fixes the Aballaba of the Romans, but which other antiquaries suppose to have been only an exploratory post, and where Roman inscriptions have been discovered, is in the parish.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

  Co-Curate Page
Irthington
- Overview About Irthington Map Street View Irthington is a village in the City of Carlisle district in Cumbria, located about 7 miles north-east of Carlisle city centre and 2 miles ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES