Hedley Township, Northumberland, 1848
HEDLEY, a township, in the parish of Ovingham, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 3 miles (S.) from Ovingham; containing 229 inhabitants. It lies one mile south from Mickley, which is situated on the Hexham road; the river Tyne runs not very far to the north, and the county of Durham is in the opposite direction. The lands consist of several farmholds, the property of the Duke of Northumberland and a few others. The tithes have been commuted for £120.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.