Hartburn is a suburb of Stockton-on-Tees in Tees Valley, previously a separate village, before the growth of Stockton. Historically it was known as East Hartburn and was a township of the ancient Parish of Stockton in County Durham.
HARTBURN, a township, in the parish and union of Stockton-upon-Tees, S.W. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 1½ mile (S.W. by W.) from Stockton; containing 135 inhabitants. It is situated on the brook from which it derives its name, and comprises by computation 940 acres of land. Anciently it was held of the bishop in capite, by homage, fealty, and suit at the wapentake of Sadberge. The village is on the road from Stockton to Long Newton. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £58, and the vicarial for £4. 12. 9.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Hartburn is a suburb of Stockton-on-Tees in County Durham, England, situated to the south west of the town centre. It is made up of a number of estates situated around Hartburn Village. The area was originally called East Hartburn, with West Hartburn being located close to Middleton St George.
The village was founded centuries ago and the surrounding area has been developed extensively, mostly with semi-detached housing, from the 1930s onwards. It is situated just off the A66 road to Darlington. The village has five public house - "The Masham", "The Stockton Arms", “The Penny Black”, "The Eaglescliffe Hotel" and the "Parkwood". In the early 2010s Hartburn expanded through new housing built in the Hartwell area, on the site of the former Bowesfield Works known as Queensgate.
In 1183, William de Hertburne (later changed to William de Hertbourne) exchanged his land in what is now Hartburn for some land in Washington, County Durham (then known as the County Palatine of Durham), thereby adopting a new title: William de Wessyngton. This occasion is commemorated by a plaque outside the church of All Saints in the village, which was erected at the 800th anniversary (2 April 1983). A later descendant of William de Wessyngton was George Washington, the first President of the United States of America.
In June 1897, a large stone was erected outside All Saints' church to commemorate the 60th year of the reign of Queen Victoria.
All Saints' church had originally been the village school, and was eventually altered to include pews and chancel steps etc., although these no longer exist.
Three bus services run through Hartburn: the 588/589 run by Compass Royston and the 87 by Tees Valley Stagecarriage. Services through the village ceased with the removal of the 98/99 service, and subsequent re-routing of the 588 past Harper Parade. However, they have restarted with the start of Tees Valley's 87, which loops the estate.
There is a large green belt section stretching from Birkdale Road, parallel with Marrick Road and Grinton Road, towards Ropner Park.
Just outside the centre of the village is the Elmwood Centre. Now a community centre, Elmwood was the first of Hartburn’s large detached properties, built in 1873. Originally the home of Mr Lewis Dodshon, owner of one of the largest wholesale grocers in the area, son of John Dodshon, whose memorial is in the centre of Stockton. In the 1880’s, it was the home of the Mountjoy Pearse family, who employed thousands in shipbuilding yards on the Tees and an iron company in Hartlepool.