Topics > Cumbria > St John's in the Vale > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Great Strickland Civil Parish > Great Strickland, 1848
Great Strickland, 1848
STRICKLAND, GREAT, a township in the parish of Morland, West ward and union, county of Westmorland, 3 miles (W.N.W.) from Morland; containing 277 inhabitants. This place takes its name from the ancient family of Strickland, who were lords of the manor, and resided here. From the Stricklands it passed, in the reign of Henry VI., to the Fallowfields, whose heiress carried it in marriage to the Dalstons, by whom it was sold to Sir John Lowther. The Lancaster and Carlisle railway passes by the place. The moduses and the vicarial tithes were commuted for land in 1830; and under the late act, certain appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £81.14. 4½., payable to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. There is a meeting-house belonging to the Society of Friends.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.