Gosforth Parish, Cumberland, 1848
GOSFORTH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 6¾ miles (S.E.) from Egremont; containing 1,113 inhabitants. The parish comprises a large tract of moorland, affording indifferent pasture, and there are several peat-mosses; it is intersected by numerous small streams, which unite with the Bleng, and fall into the river Irt. Freestone of excellent quality is extensively quarried. Fairs, chiefly for cattle and horses, are held on Bornwood common, on the 25th of April and the 18th of October. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 14. 7., and in the patronage of the family of Senhouse, with a net income of £85: the tithes were commuted for land in 1810. In the churchyard is an ancient stone pillar, which was formerly surmounted by a cross. A copper battle-axe has been dug up at Bolton wood; and at Seascales are the remains of a Druidical temple.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.