Fenham Township, 1848
FENHAM, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, union of Newcastle, W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 2 miles (W.N.W.) from Newcastle; containing 74 inhabitants. The manor belonged to the Knights Templars, and, with the rest of their property, was granted in the 18th of Edward II. to the Knights Hospitallers. The township is on the Chevy-Chase road to Edinburgh, via Ponteland, Otterburn, Melrose, and Jedburgh; and comprises 410 acres, of which 245 are pasture and woodland, and the remainder arable. The tithes have been commuted for £60. 12. 8., of which £12. 15. 4. are payable to the vicar.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.