Ewesley Township, 1848
EWESLEY, a township, in the parish of Nether Witton, union of Rothbury, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 11 miles (W.N.W.) from Morpeth; containing 20 inhabitants. The name of this place signifies "the ewes' pasture." It comprises by computation 900 acres of land. To the west of the hamlet is an oblong camp, rounded at the corners, and 90 yards long; a little to the north of Ewesley is another, on the west side of the Alemouth road, of elliptical form, 135 yards by 110; and just below the Comb bridge, on the right bank of the Font, is a third, of small dimensions,
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.