Eshott Castle fortified house (remains)


The remains of a moated medieval fortified house are located on farmland, half a mile north-west of Eshott in Northumberland, at the confluence of Longdike Burn and Eshott Burn. The remains are visible as an earthwork, with a moat 6m wide. On July 22nd 1310 Roger Mauduit was granted a licence to to crenellate his dwelling house at Eshott. In 1358 the castle was granted to his son and in 1415 the owner was recorded as Sir John Heroun, when it was recorded as 'Castrum de Eshete'.[1]

from http://www.gatehouse-gazett...
ESHOTT CASTLE
- "Eshott Castle fortified house survives well and is a rare survival of this form of medieval settlement in Northumberland. It is well documented and will add to our knowledge and ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
Eshott Castle fortified house
- "The monument includes the remains of a moated fortified house of medieval date, situated at the confluence of Longdike Burn and Eshott Burn. It is visible as a sub-rectangular enclosure ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES