Embleton (Brigham), 1848
EMBLETON, a chapelry, in the parish of Brigham, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 2¾ miles (E. by S.) from Cockermouth; containing 408 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £54; patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. As a commutation for the tithes, a rent-charge of £190 has been awarded. The chapel, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, is a neat edifice, rebuilt in 1816.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.