Eighton Banks, 1848
EIGHTON-BANKS, or Ayton-Banks, a hamlet, in the chapelry of Lamesley, parish of Chester-le-Street, Middle division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 4 miles (S.) from Gateshead. The hamlet is situated on an eminence, commanding an extensive view of the surrounding country, and contains about 120 houses, and 600 inhabitants, who are chiefly employed in the adjacent coal-pits, and the extensive grindstone and other quarries in the neighbourhood. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.